It’s a new year. As we kick off 2015, I thought I would share some of my favorite customer service tips. So, here are 15 customer service tips for 2015.
- Get back to the basics of customer service. Be polite and say please and thank you.
- Speaking of basics, use the customer’s name. It helps with building rapport.
- Always do what you say you are going to do. If you say you’ll call back in five minutes, don’t make it ten.
- Everyone has customers. Sometimes they are external – customers who pay you money. Sometimes they are internal – colleagues you work with. Sometimes they are both. Everyone has customers.
- Let your customers know your name and how to contact you so if they are inadvertently disconnected, have another question, or there is any other reason they might need a “friend” at the company, they can easily get back in touch with you.
- Respond quickly. Return calls, emails, and any other types of requests quickly.
- Be punctual for meetings. It’s expected you will be on time. It’s a sign of disrespect if you aren’t.
- Monitor social channels for comments from your customers and, once again, respond quickly.
Don’t just read this list. Use this list! Choose the tips that resonate with you. Circle them. Then focus on one at a time; one each week. And, be sure to share this list with your colleagues. Maybe even your customers.
Here is to 2015 being your best customer year ever! Happy New Year!
This article first appeared on Shep Hyken’s Customer Service Blog and was written by Shep Hyken. You can read the full version here.